Terms of Reference
Mid Term Project Evaluation
Democracy Strengthening, Georgia
1.1 Green Forum
Green Forum is a Party Affiliated Organization affiliated to the Swedish Green Party. Green Forum believes green political organizations are key to support the transition to sustainable democratic societies. Internationally, it works through SIDA´S democracy support programme, pursuing democratic development and increased respect for human rights and equal opportunities for men and women. Since its establishment, Green Forum has supported movements in Africa, Latin America, Europe as well as green Federations in Asia-Pacific, Africa, America and Europe.
In 2019, Green Forum and SIDA agreed on a two-year programme, with an overarching goal of strengthening organizations’ capacity to develop their membership base through inclusion and diversification as well as strengthening organizations’ ability to position citizens demands in politics. The programme is labeled as GPOP – Green Political Organizations Programme. To achieve GPOP goals, Green Forum would apply sub-granting, capacity building activities, networking, and opportunities for peer-to-peer learning between green actors. To instrumentalize its support, Green Forum established individual projects with each of its partners. Each partner develops its own project and receives funding to implement its initiative.
In 2020, SIDA decided to extend the programme for two more years until 2022. Green Forum and its partners have extended individual projects two additional years following SIDAs decision.
New application process for projects 2022-2027. This evaluation will further assist Green Forum’s decision making process of including the partner in the upcoming application.
2.1 Purpose of the assignment
The purpose of the assignment is to evaluate to what extent the project with Green Forum’s partner in Georgia has been able to achieve outcomes with the project implemented between 2019 and 2021. Outcomes shall be understood as a change in behavior, relationships, actions, activities, policies, or practices of an individual, group, community, organization. The evaluation must provide a clear assessment about achievement of expected and unexpected outcomes, a theory of change to explain how the activities lead to the achieved of outcomes, or factors that prevented it.
It is intended for the evaluation to determine:
- Extent to which the project and the organization’s political influence strategy has been consistent with contextual needs;
- Extent to which the intervention logic has been corresponding to the political influence strategy and adequate to deliver the expected results;
- and whether the activities proposed have been adequate to achieve outcomes.
- Identification of outcomes achieved, expected or unexpected throughout the project, expressed in terms of change;
- How where these outcomes achieved;
- Identification of groups or individuals who benefited from the intervention. Identification of how different target groups / beneficiaries experienced the change achieved.
- How did the project incorporate sustainability, understood as results being maintained beyond the timeline of the project;
- Whether the results are likely to remain in time after the completion of the project.
- Lessons learnt:
- What did the local partner learn about the implementation of the project?
- How can the partner use this knowledge to implement future projects?
- Partnership model:
- Is the partnership model used by Green Forum appropriate to promote change within the objectives of GPOP?
- Project inclusiveness
- Is the overall project management inclusive, transparent, gender-sensitive, and human-rights based?
2.2 Scope of the assignment
The evaluation will focus on the outcomes and activities implemented by Green Forum’s local partner in Georgia . For 2019-2020, the expected outcomes of the project were
- The awareness of the general public has been raised on recycling. The municipality of Tbilisi starts planning the building of recycling plant.
- Increased knowledge of students on Green ideology for raising their involvement in Green politics. Increased knowledge of new members of organization on Green ideology
- increased knowledge and ability for the organization and members of the organization to find and apply for funding.
In 2020, the organization updated the political influence strategy and the following outcomes were formulated for the years 2021-2022:
- Organisation steps up on the political maturity ladder in the “party organisation” area
- The organisation has a clear vision and action plan on three priority areas
- Organisation’s external communication is enhanced
The evaluation will be carried out by the consultant in coordination Green Forum staff. Green Forum will provide available documentation including project plans, reports and other relevant information.
It is suggested for the evaluation to take on an Outcome Harvesting approach where the evaluator is to interact with different target groups / individuals to understand how the project has changed attitude and behavior.
Consultants must submit a methodological proposal for the development of the evaluation. Documentation required is specified in the section below. The successful proposal will be a departing point for a detailed work plan. The plan will be developed after the consultant has been briefed about the project and accessed documentation. The work plan must be approved by Green Forum before data collection takes place.
The evaluation approach should be gender and human rights sensitive. Data disaggregation with relevant categories for the project is expected in evaluation report.
The assignment is home-based. The consultant shall be available for coordination and presentation meetings. Meetings can be held remotely/online. Communication with Green Forum will be carried out in English while communication with field partners is expected in Georgian (preferably).
The Consultant is to complete the following deliverables during the assignment;
- A detailed work plan, including a description of the approach and methodology, data collection tools, questionnaires, analyzing tools and timeframe proposed.
- A written evaluation report including methodology, findings, conclusions and recommendations fulfilling purpose of the evaluation described in 2.1. The final evaluation report shall be in English and shall not exceed 20 pages excluding appendices.
- An oral report, presenting main highlights of evaluation.
It is expected for the evaluation to be carried out in a 8-week period. However, the final report must be submitted the April 15th the latest. The delivery of the evaluation products shall be done accordingly the following schedule:
|Evaluation workplan||Detailed document including data collection tools, questionnaires to be applied, time frame and further requirements||Within the first two weeks from the beginning of assignment|
|First draft written report||Evaluation report including full content, relevant figures and findings||Within seven weeks from the beginning of the assignment|
|Second draft written report||Evaluation report incorporating feedback from Green Forum||Within nine weeks from the
beginning of the assignment
|Final version written report and oral report||Final evaluation report complying with Green Forum’s requirements||Within ten weeks from the beginning of the assignment|
The budget for the consultancy shall not exceed 80000 SEK including VAT
The Consultant shall indicate the fees/rates to complete the assignment. Consultant is responsible for all costs related to the consultancy.
The final payment will be made by bank transfer 30 days after delivery by consultant and deliverable approval by Green Forum. Payments will also require invoice issuing by the consultant.
- Qualifications and experience
The consultant shall have the following qualifications:
- Relevant education for the task, for example bachelor/master’s degree in international development, social/political science or related fields.
- At least 5 years of combined experience in project management, organizational development and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability with data collection and analysis methods.
- Demonstrated ability to draft and lay out quality documents and reports.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Georgian.
- Not be bankrupt, be convicted of crime in the profession, not have been guilty of serious professional misconduct nor have tax liabilities. Swedish suppliers shall have a class F tax certificate for contractors.
- Experience in working in the Caucasus region, desirable in Georgia
- Experience evaluating/working with political organizations and political parties
- Documentation required
Interested individuals must submit the following documentation:
- Letter of interest and CV. Presentation of relevant experience and abilities as well as qualifications. Max 3 pages.
- Methodological Proposal. Plan outlining evaluation methods (both quantitative and qualitative) to be used for data collection and analysis. Max 2 pages.
- Economic proposal. Proposal specifying a lump sum for the deliverables required in this document. All costs shall be given in Swedish kronor, excluding VAT.
- Procurement procedures
6.1 Selection criteria
The tender is subject to a selective tender procedure. The TOR will be sent to three or more selected consultants. The tenders will be assessed considering the following aspects.
- The contents of the tender (that all the required information is enclosed, otherwise the tender will be disqualified)
- The qualifications and experience of the tenderer including experience from working within the development sector and the Caucasus/Georgia (20%)
- The methodology and approach proposed (50%)
- The cost for the tender (30%)
Proposal review will be assessed through a Combined Scoring Method base on above percentages. The successful consultant will be selected by Green Forum.
The tender containing all required information will be submitted to Green Forum by email to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest February 17th, 2022. Subject in the email should read “Evaluation Georgia”.
Questions regarding the evaluation will be received via email to email@example.com or phone: +46720710480 before February 10th , 2022.